Miscellany of Khon Book Launch
The Ministries of Foreign Affairs and Culture are hosting a book launch for “Miscellany of Khon” on November 20th at The Siam Society.Together with acclaimed choreographer Jitti Chompee, founder of 18 Monkeys Dance Theatre, Thai artists and art scholars explore Khon from a novel perspective, while cherishing the essence of the traditional performance.
The “Miscellany of Khon” produced by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and the Ministry of Culture provides an in-depth assessment of the art form, highlighting subtleties in the performance they would otherwise be overlooked or undocumented. The book also features photographs of Jitti’s Khon-inspired works.
Miscellany of Khon Agenda
- 3:00 pm – 4:00 pm – “The Miscellany of Khon Music: Minimalism in Sound Design for Music Performance” (in Thai with English summary)
- Pornprapit Phoasavadi, associate professor of Thai traditional music, Chulalongkorn University
- Surapong Rohitajol, senior musical artist, Fine Arts Department
- Full Piphat Mai Khaeng (hard mallet) ensemble demonstration from the Fine Arts Department
- 4:00 pm – 4:35 pm – “Miscellany of Khon” documentary screening (in Thai with English subtitle)
- 5:00 pm – 6:00 pm – “Back to the Basics: A Dialogue Between the Traditional and the Contemporary” (in English)
- Thanphuying Sirikitiya Jensen
- Professor Chetana Nagavajara
For ticket reservation, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org.
For more information, visit: 18monkeysdancetheatre.com.
The launch of the book is accompanied by a screening of the documentary series “Miscellany of Khon” from which the book takes its title. Produced by the Fine Arts Department, the five-episode series showcases the unseen elements of Khon through contemporary visuals.
- “The Last Chui Chai”
- “Femininity in male performers”
- “Untold Stories”
The documentaries capture personal conversations with traditional dancers as part of the “Khon: The Human Body: Embodiment, Knowledge Management” project led by Jitti and Thanpuying Sirikitiya Jensen.